by Steven

Nice resources about running here!

It's is stated somewhere that you can follow a 80/20 plan with the MAF method. Just pick a time based plan and do the workouts with the MAF principle.
I follow this when we talking about the 80/20 "Foundation runs" but what about the speed work workouts from the 80/20 program? Just ignore those?

Or do you use the 80/20 only after hitting a MAF plateau?

Nicole's reply:

Hi Steven, I'm glad you like the website!

I do MAF training most of the time but when I am gearing up for a race I tend to follow one of Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 training plans. This means that I do 80% of my training in my MAF zone and then speedwork for the remaining 20%. Of course though if you want to follow a time based training plan and substitute all runs with MAF running, that is fine too.

Phil Maffetone does in fact say that there is a place for doing some speedwork, especially if you have plateaued in your MAF training. This link might be useful to you. Reaching a MAF Plateau.

If you haven't got Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 book, it is worth a read if you want to follow this method.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Questions about MAF Training.