Maximum running hours in a day
I have just started running with MAF method and enjoying my runs. Before maf I use to run 4 days a week with one long run between 2hrs to 3hrs. My weekly average was around 45kms with average pace around 6.30 to 6.40 min/km. I run half marathon regularly and now want to run full marathon after 7 months.
I have few queries:
1) Can I finish my first full marathon with the pace of my half marathons ??
2) How many hours should I run weekly with maf method and any specific plan for full marathon with maf
3) How many maximum hours can I run on a single day with maf.
Hi Dhaval, thank you for your questions. You already sound a proficient runner and seem to put in a good weekly mileage.
1) Can I finish my first full marathon with the pace of my half marathons?
I think that is only a question that you can answer and it depends on your training and your capabilities.
2) How many hours should I run weekly with MAF method and any specific plan for full marathon with MAF?
Phil Maffetone has never said that you need to run a certain number of hours per week, but people often suggest that 7 hours seems to be a good amount in order to see good gains. However, running less than that will see good gains for a lot of people too. There are no specific MAF training plans as far as I know. If you want a training plan, have a look at Matt Fitzgerald’s 80/20 training plans whereby you do 80% of your training at MAF and 20% at a faster pace. I have used them twice with great success.
3) How many maximum hours can I run on a single day with MAF?
This is entirely up to you. However, remember you can still get injured or over trained if you do too much, even at MAF.
Best of luck with your marathon!